diayll

Siege and Storm
Playing Tyler
T.L. Costa

Just One Day

Just One Day - Gayle Forman Originally Reviewed At: Mother/Gamer/WriterRating: 5 out of 5 Controllers, Royalty Award Review Source: PublisherReviewer: MeFrom the first word to the last, to each sentence, page and paragraph in between. Just One Day is a dynamic experience.How do I describe a book that’s utterly perfect? From the first word to the last, to each sentence, page and paragraph in between. Just One Day is a dynamic experience. I was sad, lost, excited, tormented, wanting, wishing, feeling extremely too deep for these characters. I cuddled and snuggled with them. Laugh and cried with them. Lived, loved, breathed every moment and breath with them. Gayle Forman brought me to my knees with her words. Held me captive with every turn of the page lost in the anticipation of what will happen next. And what could possibly happen in just one day? Nothing? Anything? Everything… Allyson is your typical all-American good girl. Lives by the rules, on a straight and narrow path to a future planned for her many years earlier. However, all that changes when she decides for one moment, to forgo those rules and see the Shakespearean play, The Twelfth Night while on a summer trip in Europe. By chance, she meets a free-spirited Dutch actor from the play, Willem. The play moves her in ways she didn’t expect, and so does Willem. Though it doesn’t matter because instant connection or not, she’s leaving the next day. But by fate, miracle, or chance, on a train to London she meets the handsome suave stranger again. Thus begins a one day romantic tryst of fun, nervousness, angst, fear, and adventure. Unfortunately, all stories must come to an end, and as quickly as Forman brought these two characters together, she tore them apart. And our one day love affair was left forever lingering on Allyson’s mind. I am in compete awe over this novel. I think a part of me died when Allyson left Europe heartbroken over Willem. He sparked things in her she’d never experienced or dreamed she would experience, and to see it all come crashing down was enough to make me want to pick her up and cradle her in my arms. During her one year, we watch Allyson grow and mature into the person she (not her parents) want her to be. She learns to speak her mind, follow her own dreams and heart, and conquer several fears. Her transition is beautiful; left me rooting for her repeatedly when I was almost certain she would fail. Willem is the boy we all dream about, uninhibited, able to make you melt with a single brush of his finger over your skin. He’s perfectly imperfect. Yet despite his flaws, you are so easily able to fall head-over-feet in love with him. And I did. And will again in the next installment, Just One Year. Overall, if you are looking for a novel to warm your soul and make you question the way you live your own life, then you MUST read Just One Day. With its infinite twists and turns, you’ll be mesmerized by Forman’s ability to leave your heart all across Europe, pinning for one more second. One more hour.One more day.One more week.One more month.One more year, of love.Edible Quotes:Allyson and Willem: “Being in love is a birthmark?” I joke as I retract my arm. But my voice has a tremble in it, and the place where his wet thumbprint is drying against my skin burns somehow.“It’s something that never comes off, no matter how much you might want it to.”(ARC page 64)Allyson: We kiss again. The next kiss is the kind that breaks open the sky. It steals my breath and gives it back. It shows me that every other kiss I’ve had in my life has been wrong.(ARC page 127)