diayll

Siege and Storm
Playing Tyler
T.L. Costa

Wounded

Wounded - Jasinda Wilder Originally Reviewed At: Mother/Gamer/WriterRating: 3.5 out of 5 ControllersReview Source: Blog TourReviewer: HeatherWounded is a story that has a lot of potential. It is a story about courage, emotional strength, and survival. It is also about love and trust. All of these messages are fairly strong, and good, in my opinion. This is a parallel story between an Iraqi woman named Raina who is forced to sell her body in order to survive. During a battle on the streets, she meets a marine, and decides to save him. It goes against everything she knows. This man is an American, he is her enemy, and they are at war. The man’s past isn’t nearly as dramatic. Hunter’s been hurt, away at war more than home, and he’s lost his family. His high school sweetheart crushed his heart, and he doesn’t know if he even understands what love is. Now he is being treated by this woman, separated from his people, and at risk of killing them both if he is caught. Raina is misguided. All she knows of love is sex. She doesn’t take enjoyment from what she does, but it does shame her greatly. Hunter is attracted to her, he wants her, but he realizes how impossible it is. There are many barriers for them to overcome, and at times, the war is the easiest. Do they fall in love? You’d have to read it. Alright. I hate when I don’t thoroughly enjoy a book. I love romance and sexual tension in books, and both of those were good. BUT when it came down to the nitty gritty, I feel it lacked luster that it deserved. While I enjoyed the back and forth between Raine and Hunter through the story, when it came to these intense scenes, I felt it slowed the story too much for me. Now, aside from that here are some really great aspects I loved. The story was original. Raina is a pretty, naive girl who got herself into her own predicament. At the same time, we pity her even though the choices to sell herself were her own. Tucker, eh, I did like him and his rescuing, sweet side. I also don’t know how believable his story is, with all those injuries. I know marines are tough and they have the most hellish training, but the guy was shot numerous times, had broken bones, was battling infection, and he didn’t have pain killers. Toward the end, there were things he did or said to Raina that made me want to smack him. Anytime he compared things to his ex, things that she did for him (or even didn’t do). I just felt like he didn’t even know half of what he was teaching Raina. Overall, I really loved Raina, and at times Tucker too. Their love and romance felt right, and I did feel the story was original. I could have done without the sex altogether (as soon as it began I lost interest), or if it had been more single focus. I am sure others will disagree, but to each their own. I’d gladly read more from the author, and I’d still recommend this one to others for the love story alone.