diayll

Siege and Storm
Playing Tyler
T.L. Costa

Dearly, Beloved

Dearly, Beloved - Originally Reviewed at: Mother/Gamer/WriterRating: 5 out of 5 Controllers Review Source: NetGalleyReviewer: Me Slight Spoilers If You Have NOT Read Dearly, Departed (which you should!) I am deeply infatuated with Lia Habel’s ability to craft such a uniquely satisfying novel. Dearly, Beloved is just as, if not more, fantastic than the first novel Dearly, Departed. Similar to Gone With The Respiration #1, the second novel is full of futuristic Steampunky goodness and over-the-top zombie action. The stakes are higher; the love/romance is deeper, stronger, and more intense. And of course the action is nonstop. It’s a novel that will make you laugh, dance, scream, shed a tear, and most of all…fall in love with its beautifully bewitching story, zany characters, and fresh take on the Steampunk genre. Picking up shortly after Dearly, Departed, we’re immediately thrust into New Victoria and the lives of our beloved characters. “Z Company” had dismantled, the vaccine no longer works, and the city is running rampant in lieu of a new revolution between zombies and humans. While everything seems to be crumbling around them, Bram and Nora’s love is stronger than ever and in the midst of it all, they still continue to comfort, respect, and remain strong for each other. While the action within the pages may keep you reading, its Habel’s characters that will endear you to her story forever. Dearly, Beloved is told from MULTIPLE points of view just like its predecessor. There are 6 charming characters – and one slightly misguided though completely insane – whose minds you will invade: Bram, Nora, Pamela, Michael Allister, Laura, and Vespertine Mink. All of whom you’ve met before with the exception of Laura. Habel does a wonderful job of connecting each point of view and weaving her characters lives together. At first I was suspicious having Michael as one of the POV’s, but after reading his story in its entirety, I couldn’t help but scream… YES, YES, YES! And I wish I could let you all in one my giddy little secret, but then you will miss out on all the fun! :-D One thing I must point out is that you really must (DO IT! DO IT!) read Dearly, Departed before picking up Dearly, Beloved. Don’t get me wrong, I do believe it could work as a standalone title however, the experience will be richer if you are already invested in the lives of our characters. Plus, why start an awesome series in the middle? You shouldn’t. You will just be angry with yourself if you do…so I’m warning you encouraging you to quickly grab book one. Overall, my original notion was that Dearly, Beloved was going to be a 4.5 Controller novel because of the two characters whose heads I had to be inside and I wasn’t sure if I wanted or cared to be. However, after reading the last one hundred pages and the tear-jerking ending, which made me both tear up and laugh hysterically, it solidified what I already knew; Dearly, Beloved is a gem…a 5 Controller story. It was magical, exciting, thoroughly engrossing, and flowed as one well-oiled cohesive Steampunk machine.Edible Quotes: Bram and Nora:Nora was the only thing that made sense. She was the only unchanging thing in my universe. She was my lodestar. No matter which way my emotions and circumstances and the impulses of my dead, dying, trying, body pulled me, no matter how many mistakes I made, she was always true north. Sometimes I’d side with the dead, sometimes with the living but always with her. “I love you,” I whispered in her ear.“She kissed my Adam’s apple. “God, I love you.” (ARC page 350) Bram: “I love you Nora. I will thin you beautiful when I have no eyes left to see. I will remember your voice when my ears go. You can’t hold onto me forever, but I will hold only your until I am nothing but dirt.” (ARC page 388)