diayll

Siege and Storm
Playing Tyler
T.L. Costa

Mockingbird

Mockingbird - Chuck Wendig Originally Reviewed At: Mother/Gamer/WriterRating: 5 out of 5 EPIC Controllers/Crown RatingReview Source:Publisher for Honest ReviewReviewer: MeMockingbird = FREAKING Genius! Miriam Black is a dark soul. She’s loud, highly opinionated, and clearly doesn’t give a (insert dirty word here) what anyone thinks. She’s probably one of the most unique protagonists you will ever read. Author Chuck Wendig does an extraordinary job of keeping readers on the edge of their seat just long enough so he can push them over an enormous cliff of absolute madness. Mockingbird is a rare gem of dirty, dangerous, insane fun! When I first started reading Mockingbird my original thought was, “what the heck am I reading?” But the more time I invested in this strange woman known as Miriam Black, the more hypnotized I became by her quick-witted one liners and ability to turn a dire situation into something exhilarating. And boy can she get herself into some sticky situations. Who is Miriam exactly (besides someone with a strange ability)? Well, I can tell you one thing she’s not, and that’s like every other character you’ve ever read! Unfortunately for me, I didn’t get to read the beginning of her story in Blackbirds (*tear*). With that being said, I was still able to fully enjoy Mockingbird as a standalone title. However, I will without a doubt be picking up the first book – and the next – in the series. In book two we are taking on a hell-raising adventure as Miriam tries to thwart a serial killer who preys on young women. During her journey of madness and mayhem, she makes new friends, gets beaten, chased, and crazy visions all while chain smoking her favorite pack of cigarettes. Its one heck of a pleasurable – though pretty bizarre – adventure everyone should fall in love with. Overall, if you are looking for a paranormalesque noir, with colorful language, uniquely flawed characters and dazzling writing then I HIGHLY, HIGHLY, HIGHLY, HIGHLY and in case you didn’t get that, HIGHLY recommend Mockingbird. This is by far one of my favorite books to spring up this year and I am waiting with bated breath for the sequel, Cormorant (Miriam Black, #3).