diayll

Ari Marmell
Siege and Storm
Playing Tyler
T.L. Costa

House of Night (House of Night: The Graphic Novel, #1)

House of Night: The Graphic Novel - P.C. Cast,  Kristin Cast,  Kent Dalian,  Joëlle Jones,  Karl Kerschl Originally Reviewed At:Mother/Gamer/WriterRating: 4 out of 5 ControllersReview Source: NetGalleyReviewer: MeHouse of Night: Legacy (House of Night: The Graphic Novel #1) contains five issue, Earth, Air, Water, Fire, and Spirit. Based on the bestselling series by author P.C. Cast, House of Night, issue #1 of this graphic novel series follows the life of Zoey Redbird, a sixteen year-old vampyre fledgling, as she finds strength and determination to become the leader of the Dark Daughters. Zoey is apprehensive about her new assignment because it means she will have to be a leader, a position she never wanted and believes she doesn’t deserve. In order to understand why the Goddess Nyx marked her and to see if she truly has what it takes to lead the Daughters, Nyx gives Zoe five tasks to complete. Moreover, if she successfully learns her five lessons, she will be deemed ready to lead the Dark Daughters. In each of the five stories, we’re given a glimpse into the House of Night history by following the lives of famous vampyres who were each associated with one of the five elements. The purpose of each is to essentially teach Zoey some important life lesson about humility, sympathy, asking for help, among others. There is never a dull moment in this graphic novel, and I must say I thoroughly the enjoyed story. Never having read the House of Night Series, I didn’t know what to expect with this graphic novel. Nevertheless, I am pleasantly surprised at how interesting and rich issue #1 was, giving depth to a story for those of us who might not have found out about this series otherwise. The author goes into tremendous detail as each vampyre’s life is retold over several pages. You can also see growth and character development with our main character Zoey, which is sometimes hard to accomplish in this type of setting (i.e. a novel vs. a graphic novel/comic). I also enjoyed the entire cast of side characters who each had different personalities and I can see them appealing to a wide variety of teenagers. Overall, House of Night: Legacy is another surprise hit for me. I think it is perfect for anyone who is a fan of all things paranormal and not just for those people who have read the books. The art work also flows cohesively with the story. With each element, you can see the colors transition to fit the overall tone of that section of narrative. It’s a fun read with a wealth of detail and I highly recommend it!