diayll

Siege and Storm
Playing Tyler
T.L. Costa

Frost: 1

Frost - Kate Avery Ellison Originally Reviewed at:Mother/Gamer/WriterRating: 4.5 out of 5 ControllersReview Source: Blog TourReviewer: JCarrollThis young adult book is an overall interesting read. I greatly enjoyed the journey into the land of Frost, but feel as though I’ve left a seriously awesome buffet yet still just a bit hungry. The concept of a separate race, those living on the cold, barren outskirts called the Frost, and the mysterious modern society, the Farthers, who lived in their own country beyond, appealed to me. My curiosity was piqued from the beginning concerning the shadowy Farthers. The two races never mix and the Frost people live in fear of these Farthers. The lives of Lia Weaver and her village are further controlled by the danger presented by the Watchers, creatures of the night, who are considered to both protect the village and endanger its people at the same time. I’m not one to be drawn to first person narrative, but Kate Avery Ellison makes it work. Lia, the heroine of the story, makes the fear and self consciousness she feels every moment come alive as she lives and works to survive after her parents were brutally attacked and killed by Watchers .The lack of Lia’s knowledge about the Watchers and the Farthers left many questions that hopefully will be answered in the next book in this series. I also have high hopes that there will be more to the budding romance between Lia and the young Farther she rescued. While I felt I knew Lia’s story, I was not as familiar with her brother and sister. I felt as though these characters were two dimensional. They were there, but there just wasn’t enough substance to truly bring them to life. I also never could get a clear picture of Lia’s home environment. The descriptions were somewhat vague. I enjoy a complete picture of characters’ surroundings and I like to become familiar with the environment in which they live. I felt a bit cheated. Now, the ending was excellent! Even though it was a somewhat rushed, it was full of surprises and a great deal of mystery. Being introduced to new concepts and ideas at the very end of the book left me hungry for more. What a great way to make sure your readers buy the next book! I certainly will be looking for it !My only hope is that I don’t feel as rushed reading book two. I enjoy books that are on slow simmer instead of rapid boil. It makes for a delicious, savory meal that leaves one totally satisfied. Overall, Frost is an excellent read with enough mystery and surprise to definitely make me eager for the next serving. If you want The Hunger Games meets The Maze Runner, get your copy and dig in!