diayll

Siege and Storm
Playing Tyler
T.L. Costa

Farsighted

Farsighted - Emlyn Chand Originally Reviewed at:Mother/Gamer/WriterRating: 5 out of 5 ControllersReview Source: Goddess Fish PromotionsReviewer: MeFarsighted is a book that will immediately grab you attention and leave you wide-eyed and open mouthed long after it’s done. Author Emyln Chand takes her readers on a riveting journey with a stellar cast of characters, creative special powers, and a fantastic plot that only leaves readers wanting more. Twists and turns, setbacks and love, make this novel a roller coaster ride of excitement. What a phenomenal book Farsighted truly is. I must admit I wasn’t sure if I could fall in love with a main character that not only had a disability but also had a unique gift. What Chand does it surprising, not only did she make me love Alex, but she also made me feel sorry for him, angry with him, and root for him constantly – and this was all in the first few chapters! This should speak volumes about the depth of her characters and the elegance of her writing. Not once did I feel a situation was unexplained or a character under developed. The entire cast, Alex, Simmi, Sharpi, Alex’s parents, Miss Teak and Dax all had a role to play within the pages and worked beautifully together when they crossed paths. It was exciting watching the story unfold before my eyes, a unique voyage I’d happily take over and over again. Alex, a natural loner because of his blindness, is on a journey of self discovery. Soon after his ability of second sight takes over him, he discovers that something bad is going to happen to the girl he loves, Simmi. Simmi, his first true friend means the world to him, and he will stop at nothing to save her even if that means learning to use a gift he really doesn’t want. His second sight was both a gift and a curse from the beginning, making it difficult for him to distinguish between what is real, and what might occur. It forces Alex to seek the assistance of a palm reader, Miss Teak, to better understand what is happening to him and how he can prevent Simmi’s demise, thus bringing about his quest to find the elusive Dax. But for Alex, things aren’t always as cut and dry as they seem, or as he dreams. Because of his blindness, Alex has to rely on other senses, especially touch and smell. Chand does an excellent job conveying how Alex is able to paint pictures of the world around him just by touching objects and smelling the faintest scent. I liked being able to experience the world through his eyes and seeing just how important our other 4 senses can be. It was very refreshing to see a story portrayed this way and even better to experience. Everyone should read the book for this reason alone. Another thing I loved about this novel was the strong female characters. Both Simmi and Sharpi are intelligent and insightful young girls who spoke their minds. Each had their own special way of talking and dealing with Alex and you could see how his actions would change depending on which girl he was around at the time. There was definitely a strong theme of independent women, especially in Alex’s mother who just happened to be the sole breadwinner of the family. Though the theme was present it wasn’t overpowering, and shouldn’t stop anyone from reading the book. Overall, I don’t think I have a single negative word to speak against Farsighted. It is definitely a book unlike any other, and will probably turn out to be one of the best books you have read in years. The story works, the characters are convincing, and even the rune’s add something a little extra. I highly recommend this books to everyone ages 15 and up.