diayll

Siege and Storm
Playing Tyler
T.L. Costa

Alterant (Belador)

Alterant - Sherrilyn Kenyon, Dianna Love Originally Reviewed by Jennifer at: Mother/Gamer/WriterRating:4.5 out of 5 ControllersReview Source: PublisherAlterant was an incredible heart-jolting rollercoaster ride! I’ve heard of Serrilyn Kenyon before but unfortunately, I’ve never had the pleasure of reading any of her books and in the same manner, I’d never heard (nor read) anything by her co-writer Dianna Love. Needless to say, three pages into Alterant, I was sold. From the stunning world the authors created with Gods, Goddesses, and magical creatures, to the massive character line-up, this is a fantasy novel everyone will love.Set in Atlanta, Alterant is the second book in the Blood Trinity series and begins just a few days after the conclusion of Book 1. After saving mankind from destruction, Evalle Kincaid is on her way to meet with the tribunal in an attempt to convince them that she is not a threat, an alterant that can be trusted around humans. Before arriving, she is approached by Storm, a Native American tracker and shapeshifter accomplice from her previous mission. Given their history and the emotional scars from her past, she has in her own way, learned to trust Storm and is surprised when he confronts her with a job of his own. After what seems like a never ending night of surprises, she finally reaches the tribunal and is tasked with a mission to recapture Beladors that were imprisoned and somehow escaped. Deeply conflicted, Evalle does not want to be the one who condemns other Beladors to a life that she fought so hard to escape. Feeling the pressure to succeed and the fate of all Beladors on her shoulders, this proves to be a race against time causing her to use the help of another alternant, Tristan, whom she previously imprisoned. Making it a temporary partnership that could work in (or against) her favor.Although Alterant was a spectacular read, there was one thing that bothered me. At times I was unable to fully connect with Evalle. Because of her past, she is a very cold person who shows sympathy very rarely and only to those she trusts. And since that is mostly no one, the MC could come across as harsh, disconnected, and uncaring. It’s not a huge complaint, but it did annoy me on several pages. I should also point out, for those readers who are expecting a romance novel based on the authors, you should toss that idea out the window and decide to read this novel for what it truly is, a wonderfully enchanting fantasy.Overall, Alterant is a wonderful story that can stand on it is own. However, there are several instances in the book where I was thrown off because I did not read Blood Trinity. So I do recommend – if you have the time – picking up the first novel before diving into this one to avoid confusion. There is a glossary of terms in the back of the book which I always find helpful in fantasy novels such as this one. Sherrilyn Kenyon and Dianna Love did a phenomenal job creating a unique world that will draw readers in and have them begging for the next book in the series. If you are looking to take a break from your normal romance reads and switch gears to an action-packed adventure with an engrossing storyline and characters you will grow to love, then give Alterant a try.