diayll

Siege and Storm
Playing Tyler
T.L. Costa

The Peculiars

The Peculiars - Maureen Doyle McQuerry Originally Reviewed at: Mother/Gamer/WriterRating: 5 out of 5 ControllersReview Source: NetGalleyReviewer: HeatherThe Peculiars is a steampunk novel set around a young half goblin woman named Lena. She has extra large hands and feet that she has tried – all her life – to disguise. After all, Peculiars have no souls, they aren’t human, tricksters, charming…or so the government claims. Fueled by the need for answers, and the hopes of finding her father, Lena sets out on a journey. She unexpectedly finds herself a new friend on the ride there, a man that does not seem to judge her for what she clearly is. As events unfold she finds herself in the employment of the infamous Mr. Beasley who is not only a man of medicine, but also of modern steam technology.But everyone has their secrets… This is my first real steampunk themed novel, and I wasn’t certain I would enjoy it. While I may not be much into the trending scenes we find in the real world, I feel drawn to movies, shows and imagery of all things steampunk. It wasn’t until reading The Peculiars that I developed a love for the literature too. The novel has well developed characters, a steady plot, and lots of excitement. Maureen Doyle McQuerry has an outstanding talent with descriptions and the ability to really paint a beautiful scene. The intertwining of many historical points is also to be noted as it really gave a sense of the period of time. Overall, The Peculiars is packed with action, an intriguing mystery, fancy machines and awesome weapons. There’s also and adorable cat named Mrs. Mumbles that I’d love to own. I highly recommend this story for young adults and of course those of us adults who refuse to stop believing!