diayll

Ari Marmell
Siege and Storm
Playing Tyler
T.L. Costa

Pyxis: The Discovery (Pyxis, #1)

Pyxis: The Discovery (Pyxis, #1) - K.C. Neal Full review can be found at Mother/Gamer/WriterARC was provided by the author for my honest reviewK.C. Neal has written a book that is a great reflection of herself; unique, charming, and simply fantastic!Pyxis is a novel that stole my heart from the first sentence. I was immediately sucked into a compelling world of magic, myths, and mystery. Honestly I had no idea what to expect when I decided to read this book. I mean what the heck is a Pyxis anyway and why should I care about it? Finding the hidden truths to this mystery is what kept me both interested and excited in the story of Corinne, Angeline, and Mason, family secrets, and the journey that one small box led them all on. It was a quick, surprising, thrill ride and I can't wait to do it all over again with book two.Neal does an amazing job of building relatable YA characters. The main characters are typical teenagers with a little (not much) angst and high school drama. Corinne was a wonderful protagonist and enjoyable to read. She's smart, sassy, stubborn, pretty much all the fun `S' words. She never came across as annoying or bratty which is great considering she is only 16 years old. I loved riding her emotional roller coaster as she tried to uncover the secrets of the Pyxis box and the mysteries surrounding her grandmother and aunt. Her highs and lows soon became mine, and I found myself wishing that she would soon get the answers she so desperately desired.Angeline was another great character I enjoyed getting to know. Out of the two, she was more levelheaded and often times the voice of reason for Corinne. Their banter was delightful and portrayed a genuine best friend relationship. Likewise, Mason was also a fabulous character. In the next installment, I can definitely see him talking an `Alpha Male' role with Corinne because of certain circumstances (which I won't spoil) that takes place in the book. He's a loveable, dependable protector and I wouldn't mind having him in my corner should I run across my own Pyxis box! :-)Overall, Pyxis is one of those books that will take you by surprise. As a debut novel, Neal had outdone herself with her unique storytelling. The book blurb doesn't really do it justice because it is so much more than what it describes. With the twists and turns and family drama, Pyxis will keep you guessing until the very end. I am patiently waiting for Alight, book two in the Pyxis series, because...the journey has just begun!5 out of 5 Controllers!