diayll

Siege and Storm
Playing Tyler
T.L. Costa

Warlord of Mars Dejah Thoris Volume 4: The Vampire Men of Saturn TP

Warlord of Mars Dejah Thoris Volume 4: The Vampire Men of Saturn TP - Carlos Rafael, Robert Place Napton, Deborah Carita Originally Reviewed At: Mother/Gamer/WriterRating: 4 out of 5 ControllersReview Source: NetGalleyReviewer: MeI will go ahead and readily admit this…I really like Dejah Thoris. In all honesty, I do not give two flips about what she is – or in most cases – isn’t wearing. Dejah is fun to read and follow, if you are willing to set aside you reality and replace it with one where the sexiest woman on Barsoom traipses around in a golden bikini, kicks major arse and gets people to do whatever she wants. She may not be Wonder Woman or Storm, but I do not think she is meant to be anything like the superheroes we have grown to love or automatically picture in our heads. This is exactly why I like the over-the-topness of her character, her story line and personality. If you can recall from my review of, Warlord of Mars: Dejah Thoris Volume 3 – The Boora Witch TP, the beautiful Princess of Barsoom mind and body were taken over by The Boora Witch. Unbeknownst to her and under the cover of night, Dejah committed traitorous acts setting ally against ally and turning the leaders of Helium against one another to create ultimate chaos. Now on a self-imposed exile and of course wandering around half-naked in the ice (because it wouldn’t be Dejah if she wasn’t), she stumbles upon a man from the Okar or ancient “yellow race”. Not to give away too much from Issue #16, Dejah must find a way to escape her new captivity. Issue #17 begins with her, once again, becoming prisoner to an unknown race known as the Vathek a once peaceful people who had essentially been turned into vampires from a devastating plague. The Vathek man takes her to the planet Saturn where she meets the Commandant. He explains that he wants to take over Barsoom and needs Dejah to be his Emissary and persuade the people to surrender. Dejah, being feisty Dejah, says no and with the assistance of a Palidor, escapes. After evading the Vathek patrols, in Issue #18 she and the Palidor head to the rebel base and meet up with Julz – leader of the resistance. After seeing the Vathek Blood Farms, Dejah agrees to help the Palidor fight and offers herself as a soldier. Later on, Julz intercepts a transmission from the Vathek to Barsoom that orders their immediate surrender. This sets Dejah on a path back to the Vathek where she encounters a surprising betrayal. Jumping into Issue #19, Dejah finds an unlikely ally with a Vathek who wants her as his bride. Over the top? Of course it is! As things begin to heat up, we get the big fight scene and learn whom Dejah can really trust among her newly found friends. However, does she manage to save her planet and finally destroy the Vathek? Overall, I really enjoyed Warlord of Mars: Dejah Thoris Volume 4: The Vampire Men of Saturn. The illustrations remain beautifully drawn, something I have become accustomed to with the series. And the eye catching colors really bring the story and characters to life. Yes, the story may be a little exaggerated and Dejah a little too overdone, but just try it and maybe you too can fall in love with the beautiful Princess and her extraordinary adventures throughout space.