diayll

Ari Marmell
Siege and Storm
Playing Tyler
T.L. Costa

The Lazarus Machine: A Tweed & Nightingale Adventure (Tweed & Nightingale Adventures)

The Lazarus Machine - Paul Crilley Originally Reviewed At: Mother/Gamer/WriterRating 4 out of 5 ControllersReview Source: PublisherReviewer: AimeeKayThe Lazarus Machine is a very interesting Steampunk mystery. Overall the book was filled with fun and excitement, as well as mystery. It drew me in and definitely had some parts I didn’t see coming. I liked the world that Crilley has built. I think it is a great set up for future novels. Not only more about the main characters, Tweed and Nightingale, but for other characters that were introduced as well. As for the steampunk creations that populate his world they are intriguing without being overly complicated. I loved the characters. Sebastian and Octavia are a great pair. They come from two different levels of society and it is interesting to see how they work together. Also while the opportunity for romance is surely there, this is not a romance novel, and I think the story benefited from not delving to deep into that part of their relationship. The supporting characters are a treat as well. They story doesn’t delve too deeply into some of the other characters past but they are still hold their own within the lives of the main characters. I would hope that they appear in more books about Sebastian and Octavia. ***Spoiler Alert***Even while the technology wasn’t too complicated there were a few things that I wondered about. The main thing was about Sebastian himself. (This is where the spoilerage comes in so don’t say I didn’t warn you.) In the beginning of the story Sebastian has memories of when he was younger, yet later on things come to light that make it impossible for him to have had those memories. It bothered me a bit because it was never explained. Maybe it is something that will happen in later novels? ***End Spoiler Alert*** The other items that bothered me where along similar lines, but nothing nearly as major and could easily be written off or outright ignored. Even with the issues I had with the book I still really enjoyed it. Not only was there the mystery of Octavia and Tweed’s missing parents, but there were other mysteries as well that the author was able to weave into his story that made it that much more interesting. I would definitely recommend The Lazarus Machine as a great new summer mystery to pick up and I’m giving it 4 out of 5 controllers.