diayll

Siege and Storm
Playing Tyler
T.L. Costa

The Circle: Book One of The Sidhe

The Circle (The Sidhe #1) - Cindy Cipriano Originally Reviewed At: Mother/Gamer/WriterRating: 5 ControllersReview Source: NetGalleyReviewer: ArielFirst of all, this was a great debut novel for Cindy Cipriano. The first few pages were a little slow, but by the end of the first chapter I was hooked. Cipriano introduces an amazing world of magic with the Sidhe and she keeps readers guessing as Calum tries to find out what happened to his cousin Finley. One of the things that really intrigued me about the novel was the fact that it’s full of Irish phrases, which can be a little tricky at first but there is a pronunciation guide on the book’s website, www.thesidheseries.com. I always get fascinated whenever something European is involved, so this was a huge plus for me. Something else that I found really interesting about the novel was the fact that there were different clans of Sidhe and each clan has their own token and their own verse, and I don’t think we’ve been introduced to all of the clans yet, so I am looking forward to the possibility of that in future books in the series. The characters are fantastic, Calum is your typical 11 year old boy (aside from being a Sidhe of course) and he’s an extremely easy character to relate to. Apart from anything magical going on in the novel, Calum is, like a lot of children, nervous about middle school. He meets Laurel, a human girl, and is reluctant to be friends with her because she is a girl. His best friend is hanging out with other kids, bullies, and the two are drifting apart. It is an extremely real telling of this particular time in a kid’s life, Sidhe or otherwise. That being said, the interactions between Calum and Laurel are really enjoyable, the awkward just getting to know someone new right before starting a new school situation is done really well. Hagen, Calum’s cousin, is a great character as well. He and Calum act more like brothers than they do cousins, and Hagen is just as dedicated to finding Finley as Calum is. There are family trees in the back of the book, which come in handy and I wish I would have checked the back of the book before I read the whole book because it can be a little difficult at times to keep track of who is related to who and how they are related. There are still some things that seem a little mysterious that I am looking forward potentially being explained in the rest of the series. Something still seems a little suspicious with Laurel to me (you’ll understand once you read the book) and of course, the book ends on a cliff hanger leaving lots of room for the next novel. I’m giving The Circle 5/5 game controllers. It was a great read, something that I thoroughly enjoyed, and definitely would have enjoyed when I was younger. Fantastic debut novel, and I can’t wait to read more.