diayll

Siege and Storm
Playing Tyler
T.L. Costa

Some Quiet Place

Some Quiet Place - Kelsey Sutton Originally Reviewed At: Mother/Gamer/WriterRating: 4.5 out of 5 ControllersReview Source: NetGalleyReviewer: SarikaSome Quiet Place is the type of novel that you fall in love with right away due to the concept of the story alone. The book follows a young Elizabeth Caldwell, a girl incapable of emotion, as she wades through the shark-infested waters that is her life. Elizabeth possess an uncanny talent: the ability to see emotions (such as Fear, Regret, Guilt, Joy) as they affect the people around her. As the book progresses, we eventually see bits and fragments of her past, only to unveil the mystery of her being devoid of feeling. The description itself is intriguing enough: it’s extremely difficult to imagine a character so aware of emotions, yet unable to experience them for herself. The theory of emotions existing as living beings allows room for deep thought about the way humans function and about whether or not our ability to feel is mankind’s downfall; and I’m glad to say Sutton does not disappoint. Of course this novel has certain flaws, as the slow pacing, although effective with regards to characterization, was quite tiresome. It was almost impossible to sympathize with someone who literally couldn’t feel bad for herself. The ending itself, although interesting, was too abrupt for my liking, and didn’t account for the pages of build-up. As the final threads of Some Quiet Place come together to reveal the final fabric, we clearly see the purpose of Elizabeth’s repressed emotions is to relate it to everyday life, my personal perception of the novel made me see the stages of the book as stages one might go through from grief or loss. However, the beauty of this book is that it can be interpreted in different ways. I would recommend this novel to anyone who is a patient reader and enjoys deep thought and analysis when it comes to literature, or anyone who is open to a fresh and original plot.