diayll

Siege and Storm
Playing Tyler
T.L. Costa

The Rules for Disappearing

The Rules for Disappearing - Ashley Elston Originally Reviewed At: Mother/Gamer/WriterRating: 4.5 out of 5 ControllersReview Source: NetGalleyReviewer: MeWell change my name and call me Meg, who knew Witness Protection could be so much fun! When I first read the synopsis for this book I knew it was going to be different, maybe a little strange, and hopefully jammed packed with mystery and surprises. Needless to say my expectations were high, mega high. So high that if I’d been disappointed I might have cried – and been slightly mad. Thankfully, I was NOT disappointed. In fact, I was pleasantly flabbergasted and deeply engaged with every flip of the page. The Rules for Disappearing, though slightly predictable, blew me away with its charm and page-turning secrets. In the beginning we are introduced to “Meg”, a girl whose family is in hiding for reasons unbeknownst to her. Once again she’s been uprooted from her “life” and forced to relocate to the middle of nowhere and start all over again – and this time she doesn’t have her beautiful hair or natural eye color for comfort. Her younger sister is suffering dramatically as a consequence of the move and Meg is determined to make her life as normal as possible. Her mother, who’s now a full-blown alcoholic, and her father who keeps himself emotionally closed off, are no help and only add to her mounting list of problems. Try as she might, Meg doesn’t want to get involved or make friends. They only thing she wants to do is find out why her family must be protected. However, when Ethan enters the picture her outlook begins to change and suddenly she begins to care about everything more deeply than she planned. This is one of those novels that has a solid beginning, middle and end. Yes, it’s a liner path with predictability but it doesn’t take away from the overall enjoyment of the story. You want Meg to win, you want her sister to smile and laugh again, and you want her to fall in love with the sweet country boy. And mostly you want her family to be okay and out of the program. It forces you to feel for their entire family and cheer them on as each member finds their place and happiness again.My final thought: I highly recommend The Rules for Disappearing to everyone. It’s quality reading with an enjoyable adventure. And it deserves a spot on your bookshelf!