diayll

Siege and Storm
Playing Tyler
T.L. Costa

Be My Enemy (Everness)

Be My Enemy - Ian McDonald Originally Reviewed At: Mother/Gamer/WriterRating: 5 out of 5 ControllersReview Source: PublisherReviewer: AimeeKayI have been waiting forever to read Be My Enemy, the sequel to Planesrunner by Ian McDonald! (Okay it’s been less than a year…but still!) So I was uber-excited to see this one in my box of goodies from D. Luckily I wasn’t disappointed and enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed the first book. Be My Enemy picks up where Planesrunner ended. Dr. Singh is still missing and Everett is stuck on a frozen version of earth trying to figure out a way to find him. I think that Be My Enemy is slightly darker than Planesrunner. In Planesrunner there is the sense that everything will somehow work out alright in the end. It didn’t, but it still had that vibe. Maybe because Everett is more optimistic? In Be My Enemy however, Everett finally begins to realize that fixing his problems might not be as easy as he believed. I think that this change in Everett is interesting and it definitely shows him maturing and fills him out as a character. I also really liked that McDonald began to really introduce the fact that in the alternate Earths there are also alternate people. Yes it had already been presented in the first book, but in this one it really looked at it and examined a lot closer. How different circumstances change the alternates and can cause them to take divergent paths from each other. Yet, even with huge differences there seem to be some ingrained traits, choices, and actions, that remain the same. I won’t go into too much detail because I don’t want to spoil it. This one ends pretty much the same as the previous one. There is a cliffie and still LOTS of unresolved issues. Course this one also ends with a possible nano-plague invasion of Everett’s home world, so the cliffie here is a bit steeper. Overall, I loved this book. Again, I was pulled in from the very beginning and enjoyed every minute of the ride. If you haven’t already read Planesrunner I would recommend reading it before you pick up Be My Enemy. The second book can be read separately…but there are some things that the reader might not understand as much if they missed out on the first one. For example Sen’s Airish slang. If you haven’t read the first book then it might get a bit confusing as to why she speaks that way (Again though there is a handy little Palari dictionary in the back). I’m giving it 5 out of 5 controllers and I can’t wait to see where Everett goes to next!