diayll

Siege and Storm
Playing Tyler
T.L. Costa

Pride's Run

Pride's Run - Cat Kalen Originally Reviewed at:Mother/Gamer/WriterRating:5 out of 5 ControllersSource:Bewitching Book ToursReviewer:JenniferLately I’ve been shying away from werewolf books, well technically running in the opposite direction. But when I was approached to read Pride’s Run, I just couldn’t pass up the opportunity. And after reading the story, I’d definitely made the right choice. What initially drew me in was the cover. I’m a sucker for pretty cover art, and Pride’s Run is a perfect example. Having never heard of Cat Kalen, I was a little nervous about what I would be getting myself into with this unknown author. I am very picky about the writing style of an author and if I don’t like the author’s style, I can’t focus on the story. Lucky for me, Cat’s style was perfect. She told an immensely compelling tale without making it complicated to understand. Pride, the story’s main character, is a seventeen year old werewolf that has spent all her life in captivity on a vineyard in California. The runt of her litter, she is left alone after the death of her parents at the hands of her master. Pride is used as a weapon to seek out and either kill or capture whomever her master says. A year after her mother’s death, Pride finds out that her master wants to mate her with another wolf by the name of Stone. Stone is a nineteen year old alpha who has become increasingly aggressive towards Pride since he was broken three years beforehand. Pride on the other hand, has not and refuses to be broken. Days before the full moon, Pride’s master sends her on a retrieval mission were she is supposed to capture and return a runaway wolf. Seeing this as her only opportunity, she decides to escape. During her escape however, Pride runs into some unforeseen trouble, and is forced to accept help from her master’s target, Logan. The pair decides to team up and make their way to north to freedom. One of my favorite things about this story was Cat’s attention to detail. For example, in a lot of werewolf books we hear about a wolf smelling fear, but Cat is the first person to go into detail about the scent. She gives so much detail on the scent, I felt like I could actually smell fear myself. Cat is a fantastic writer and as long as she keeps writing, I’ll keep reading. Overall, Pride’s Run is a great addition to the werewolf genre and a MUST-READ for any paranormal fan. A well-rounded urban fantasy that won’t leave you disappointed.